요즘 구직활동을 하면서 제가 특히나 중요하게 생각하는 부분은 ‘회사에 할 질문을 준비하는’ 작업입니다. 면접이 마무리될 무렵 인터뷰어들이 의례적으로 ‘질문 있으면 해 주세요’라고 말할 때 던질 질문들을 준비하는 건데요.
예전에는 이때 할 질문을 철저히 준비하지 않았지만, 이번에는 저도 인터뷰어가 된다는 자세로 질문지를 만들고 있습니다. 채용이 스타트업에서 중요하기 때문에 회사가 사람을 까다롭게 골라서 채용하듯, 저도 합류할 팀을 신중하게 선택해야 하니까요. First Round Review에 올라온 이 아티클을 토대로 만들고 있는데, 나중에 구직활동을 마무리하고 나면 저도 블로그에 올려 보려고 합니다.
그건그렇고 이 아티클에 있는 질문 목록만 뽑아 보면 요런 것들이 있습니다. 답하기 쉽지 않은 질문들이죠?
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON COMPANY GROWTH AND PRIORITIES
- What’s the biggest existential threat to this business? What are the things that keep you up at night?
- What are the most recent examples of things the company has tried and failed at?
- What are some of the key financial metrics that the company optimizes for?
- Which companies does the leadership admire and hope to emulate? Why?
- What area of the business would you say this company is behind on, given its stage?
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON CULTURE AND VALUES
- What’s something that would only happen here but wouldn’t at other organizations?
- How have you changed during your time here?
- When you’ve done your best work here, what about the culture has enabled you to do that?
- Has the company ever made a decision that prioritized its values over revenue?
- How did leadership at your organization respond in the first days of the COVID-19 crisis?
- What would 1:1’s be like with my direct manager? What types of topics would we discuss?
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON THE EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE
- Can I see your calendar for the week?
- What common attributes have you found among people who join and are successful, versus those who aren’t?
- What are the top reasons that people have left the company of their own volition?
- What is something that the company changed at the request of its employees that did not originate from an executive?
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON FOUNDER FIT
- Can you tell me about your founding team’s background and why you’re tackling this particular problem?
- If I asked your investors what they’re worried about, what would they say?
- Who is on your speed dial for when things aren’t going well with the business? Why that person?
- Can you share the details of the company’s stock offerings for employees?
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON MANAGER COMPATIBILITY
- What’s the hardest piece of feedback you’ve received, and what’s the hardest feedback you’ve given?
- What relative weight do you put on the way people conduct their work, versus the work product they generate?
- How would your team describe you?
- How do you cultivate and foster individual contributor growth on the team?
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- What will separate someone who is good at this job from someone who is really stellar?
- Think back on a really great experience that you had with the last person who previously held this role. Why was it so great?
- What will my first 30, 60 and 90 days look like? Do you have an idea of the first problems you want me to help solve?
- How do you see this position evolving as the company grows?
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON TEAM IMPACT & DYNAMICS
- Talk me through a project that initially went off the rails that you are really proud of.
- Could you tell me about a time when a co-worker went out of their way to do something nice for a teammate?
- Who owns the goals and how are decisions made about what work needs to be done? What influence do I have towards the goals set for the department?
- How long did decision-making take with the most recent large decision?